Welcome to the official blog for Villanova's Gender and Women's Studies program! Please come back often for information on events, programming, academic opportunities, alumni news, student accomplishments, and more! Thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

GWS Student Spotlight: Sophie Sitar!

Name: Sophie Sitar

Year in school: Sophomore

Majors and minors: Undeclared Major, but heavily leaning towards psychology. Minoring in Gender and Women's Studies!

Hometown: Chatham, NJ

Favorite place you’ve ever traveled to: The summer before freshman year at Villanova, my two best friends from high school and I spent a month backpacking Europe. We stayed in hostels and slept together on a single twin bed every night. We lived on nothing while experiencing everything. My favorite place of the trip had to be Interlaken, Switzerland. The water, the mountains, the people, the food- just all of it felt surreal.

Favorite GWS class: I actually just declared my minor a few weeks ago and recently transferred from the nursing school to the college of arts, so I have not taken classes yet. I am set to take Gender and the World as well as Sports and Society in the spring so I am very excited.

Why do you study GWS/why is it important to you? 

Growing up I was raised in a socially liberal home where I was constantly pushed to be independent and self-reliant. My parents have always supported my endeavors but they have taught me how important it is to pursue your ambitions and be able to rely on yourself to live the life you want. Women generally are not pushed to follow this simply because they are often seen as a more "sensitive" or "weaker" sex. While this stereotype is constantly evolving, many women are not striving for their potentials because society limits their goals and degrades their abilities. I am studying GWS because I want to help other women become independent and not relent on others. Everyone deserves an equal chance and should push themselves to reach their goals. Limitations based on sex need to stop being so apparent in today’s society.

No comments:

Post a Comment